The first William Byrd High School band was organized in 1930 by principal Herman L. Horn with William Burt as its director. The band had 13 members and was the first organized band in Roanoke County.
We are proud to be celebrating our 86th anniversary this year.
- The marching band played at the opening ceremony for the Baltimore Colts vs. Pittsburgh Steelers football game at Victory Stadium.
- The band traveled to Toronto, Canada for the Lion’s Club International Convention. The band visited the New York World’s Fair on their way home.
- In the summer of 1972 the band traveled to Mexico City, Mexico for the International Lion’s Club Convention.
- The band marched by invitation in the Kentucky Derby Festival Parade.
- In 1982 the band received “Superior” ratings at both the State Marching Band Festival and the District Concert Festival and was named a Virginia Honor Band. It was the first band to be so honored in this region.